Friday, May 12, 2017

Inattentive ADHD

So the Dr thinks I might have ADHD and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that. So here's my idea, I take a look at all the diagnostic criteria and try to parse if it currently applies, if I had this symptom in childhood, in what contexts it applies (home, school, work, social) and any coping strategies I've developed to deal with the symptom. I'm gonna start with the inattentive criteria first.

- often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or during other activities (e.g. overlooks or misses details, work is inaccurate).

Examples: spelling and grammatical errors, formatting errors, forgetting to take tags off clothes, and simple math errors. I am constanyly going back to a text, or a post or comment on Facebook or Reddit and noticing mistakes that I end up editing (mostly to late). Coping strategies: try to force myself to double and triple check work, and use automated checking tools like spell check.
Applies currently and in childhood (home, work, school).

- often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities (e.g., has difficulty remaining focused during lectures, conversations, or lengthy reading).

This one is more difficult. I do have a hard time focusing on somethings, like lectures, reading material I am not particularly interested in, or even just sitting and watching TV. I don't have a problem generally staying engaged in one on one conversations. Coping strategies: doing multiple things at once, like with my phone while watching TV, or doodling.
Applies currently and in childhood (home, work, school, social).

- often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly (e.g., mind seems elsewhere, even in the absence of any obvious distraction).

Does not apply.

- often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish school work, chores, or duties in the work place (e.g., starts tasks but quickly loses focus and is easily sidetracked).

I feel like I do this a lot with art projects and writing. Also was a problem at work with bigger projects. Not sure if I do it with chores, have a harder time starting but once I get going it's easier. Coping strategies: none really
Currently applies to big projects and applied more across the board when I was a kid (school, work, home).

- often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities (e.g., difficulty managing sequential tasks; difficulty keeping materials and belongings in order; messy, disorganized work; has poor time management; fails to meet deadlines).

I tend to do the interesting stuff and put off or just ignore the mundane tasks. I find it especially difficult to prioritize. I frequent do work last minute and often miss deadlines. I am regularly late for social engagements. Coping strategies: Covey- type checklists with each task subdivided into other timed tasks. Timers and alarms to force mess to get out of the door on time.
Applies currently and in childhood (work, home, school, social).

- often avoids or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (e.g. schoolwork or homework; for older adolescents and adults, preparing reports, completing forms, reviewing lengthy papers).

OMG, reports are the bane of my existence, they make me angry and I avoid and procrastinate. I also avoided homework and as education became more demanding I did worse and worse in large part because of my avoidances of homework. Coping strategies: art work I started forcing myself to do reports right off the bat or at a scheduled time (with an alarm). I also automate forms and turn them into templates.
Applies currently and in childhood (home, work, school).

- often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., school materials, pencils, books, tools, wallets, keys, paperwork, eyeglasses, mobile telephones).

Constantly losing my phone, pens, papers, etc. Coping strategies: I don't lose my wallet anymore because I combined it with my phone, and I can just say, "Hey Siri," top find my phone. I hang up my keys as soon as I get in the house, also belt clip for keys. Put all work in my bag so it lives there. I get a bit obsessive about everything having a home so i don't lose it.
Applies currently and in childhood (home, work, social).

- is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli (e.g., for older adolescents and adults may include unrelated thoughts).

I do tend to channel surf and go down internet rabbit holes, abandoning one line of investigation for something new that's also interesting. I also have lots of random thoughts, trend to get caught up in tangents in conversation. Will notice something that needs to be done and I abandon what I'm currently working on top take care of it real quick (not infrequently leads to further tangents). Coping strategies: limiting distractions.
Applies currently and in childhood (home, work, school, social).

- is often forgetful in daily activities (e.g., doing chores, running errands; for older adolescents and adults, returning calls, paying bills, keeping appointments).

I will forget what I went to the store to buy, to pay my bills and to make appointments. I will forget about needing to do a chore. Coping strategies: lists, alarms and reminders, also keeping it right in front of me so I remember to do it.
Applies currently and in childhood (home, work, school, social).


TOTAL:
5 - Applies fully
3 - Applies somewhat
1 - Does not apply

No comments:

New kind of boy

I'm realizing that I can't do this Daddy/boy relationship like I have done Dom/sub in the past. I've been slipping into old patt...